Shana and Michael:
It all started last July. I was baby sitting my younger cousin Kristian while my aunt was out of town for the weekend. As it was getting late I put Kristian to bed and I began to watch TV... 
>> Continued





She's From:   United States
He's From:     United States

I am just now recovering from being dumped by a man I was in love with for almost 2 years.

We met online in a chat room where politics and current events were the main topics. For a while, we were just
friends - talking about our everyday lives, sending jokes to each other, etc. But after a few months, it got much more involved. calls... web-camming, mailing cards to each other, you name it, we did it. I was head over heels in love with this guy, and he said he felt the same way. Even though we both worked full time jobs, we spent so much time together online, talking and laughing for HOURS each night. 







Our phone calls lasted 4-5 hours, about 2-3 times a week. I told him I thought he was the one for me, and he said he felt the same way. We weren't just kids, either. I'm in my mid 30's, and he is in his 40's. The emails we sent each other were incredible. We both talked about our dreams. We looked at house plans online...looked for jobs together....talked about having kids.

We sent each other LOTS of pics of each other, and places we visited. On Valentine's Day, he was talking to me, and suddenly said 'WAIT, I'll BRB'. About 15 mins later, he came back and said 'I can't get you real flowers, so I took some pics of the flowers in my garden. Happy Valentine's Day, Baby!' He was so spontaneous, fun, and sweet, and my heart just melted.

After almost 2 years....yes, YEARS.....of sharing our hearts online, we finally met in person, and had the most incredible weekend together. It was everything I hoped it would be: intimate, fun, downright sexy. We were HOT together. He had made a couple of CD's with songs he said reminded him of me, and we played them on his portable CD player all weekend, whenever we were in our hotel room. We spent hours talking, walking on the beach, visiting all the places he had been telling me about and sending me pictures of for 1 1/2 years. He even took me to his Mom's antique shop. It was just amazing. Finally being able to look into his beautiful blue eyes and tell him in PERSON that I loved him was a dream come true. Hearing him whisper that he loved me as we were holding each other sent chills down my spine.

When we parted at the end of that weekend, it was so tough. We both cried and held each other tightly. We had worked so hard to make that weekend happen (both of us have situations that I can't go into, but that's why it took so long to meet). When I got back home, I was determined to make all the dreams we had talked about come true. I was determined that one way or another, we would be together, and we wouldn't have to say goodbye ever again. We picked right back up where we had left off.. the emails, the phone calls, the web-camming, the long conversations online. He kept telling me how much he missed that weekend was the most incredible experience, and that he wished I was still there with him.

He said walking on the beach just wasn't the same without me. He kept telling me how much he loved me, and wished we could be together. I started saving for a plane ticket so he could fly out to see me for a weekend, and I told him about the ticket. He was thrilled and said he couldn't wait to see me again! Hearing that, and knowing how deeply I loved him and that he said he felt the same way about me...I began the process of making arrangements for us to be together permanently. Then, disaster struck.

About a month after our weekend at the beach, I found out that he had scheduled a few days off work to meet another woman whom he had met on the internet after he and I had met in person. We had an argument, and he said he felt like it was none of my business. I replied that if he was making plans to be with someone else, while AT THE SAME TIME telling me he wanted US to be together, then it certainly WAS my business. He didn't speak to me for several days, and I spent my nights alone, sitting in front of a silent computer, waiting by a silent phone, hurting so much it felt like I was dying.

Then one night, he came online and wanted to talk. He said he had been talking online to this woman BEFORE we met that weekend, not AFTERWARD, as I had been led to believe. He said that he wanted to meet her in person. He said he felt a strong connection to her, and he wanted to follow up on it. He said that I 'obviously thought there was more to him and I than he did, and that he hadn't felt the same way.' He said 'I wasn't in love with you.' and he said 'Where was I when we supposedly talked about a future together?' His parting shot was...'I'm sorry you feel I have hurt you. But I didn't use you. You got as much out of it as I did.'

For weeks, all I could do was lie in bed and stare at the ceiling. I stopped eating, I stopped taking a shower, I stopped changing clothes. I didn't pay my bills. I had believed this man, I was totally in love with him and believed in him. I drove 17 hours to spend a weekend with him at the beach and then drove for 17 hours back home,
thinking I had just spent 3 wonderful days and nights with the love of my life. After almost 2 years, I really believed he was the one. But he took everything away when he said 'By the way, I wasn't in love with you. I never felt the same way you did.' I have nothing good left to remember, because apparently everything was based on a lie.

I have this dream over and over, in which he and I are talking, and words from all our emails are printed across the dream, and we're laughing and telling each other things from our deepest hearts, and scenes from our weekend together are playing like a movie, and I can actually feel his kisses all over again....and then suddenly the words
'I WASN'T IN LOVE WITH YOU' are stamped across the dream, entirely obscuring all the happy things. I can't see past those words, and I wake up crying every single time. Despite everything he had been telling me for almost 2 years......despite everything he told me that weekend, when he was whispering my name as his hands touched me and his lips kissed mine, he didn't love me.

That was in Nov 2002. It is now Feb 2003. I have been getting counseling for several weeks. Slowly, very slowly, I am getting to a place in my heart and mind that isn't filled with pain. He was my best friend. I loved him with my deepest heart, and I believed in the future we had talked about. I miss him so so much.

I will survive, but as long as I live, I will never understand how he could use me like that, and for such a long time, knowing how much I loved him. I will never understand how someone could be so cruel to another human being.