Mars & Deborah 3:
As Deborah went to the departure hall to fly out of Adelaide I knew that the next few months were going to drag on slowly and that I would miss her like crazy. I just didnt want her to go but that was the reality of the situation. When she got back...
>> Continued




She's From:   United States
He's From:     Greece

It was one of those holidays where you are expecting something spectacular but the day just, kind of sits there, not delivering the goods.

  Petros & Barbara celebrating being together
  I had been out with the friends, on New Year's Eve and was really feeling a bit tired out so I decided to spend a quite New Year's Day, alone at home.

This was actually a treat for me since my job takes me on-the-road three weeks out of every month. I practically LIVE in hotels and on airplanes. This made my Internet connection my best friend, since there is little time to "bond" with buddies. I am an American woman, living in Greece for the past 6 years. Most of my family and friends still live in the States. Don't get the idea that I was a loner or sad about all that. I often went out with friends, dated (sometimes even from the Internet) and was leading a busy, exciting life. 






This particular New Year's Day was spent enjoying my solitude and a chance to relax for a change. Being an old veteran of the Internet chat scene, I turned on my computer around 11:00 that night...just for some conversation. My "buddies" list was lit up like a Christmas tree but, I really wasn't in the mood for the same old friends. I wasn't interested in the silly old "Hi honey, what's your sign" kind of chat either. Just on a lark, I did a search for someone to actually have a conversation with about things, other than silly cyber romance. I searched for the town where I live and typed in "40ish" as the age. There were three names presented. One was easily identifed as a weirdo, just by his profile. One seemed to obviously hate women. The third had some interesting hobbies and was even the same zodiac as me (to avoid all that "your sign/my sign" stuff). Well, I sent him a message. He didn't respond. I went on my merry way, writing emails to the friends back home. After about 10 minutes a message came back. (Hmmmm, must have been checking out my profile). He told me that he didn't chat to people in his hometown...wasn't "into" computer dating. Me either! Great, so we had a basis for talking about everything under the sun. 

Somehow, three hours passed. That was fun. We said goodbye and "hope to talk again sometime." I went to sleep with this happy conversation on my mind. The next day, I returned from work and chance was he there? Sure enough, there he was. Several more hours passed in this lovely, upbeat, non-sexual conversation. I went out of town the following week and from Dubai (of all places), I turned on the chat from my hotel room. Within about 10 minutes, he appeared. He was actually checking to see if I was there. This was becoming a habit. There were never any silly promises or cyber-I-love-you's. We talked about movies, philosophy, our families, our work...everything. At some point, weeks after first speaking, we exchanged mobile phone numbers. I didn't want any potential weirdo calling me at home or at work. We talked almost every day...just a nice "hi," "how are you," "how was your day?" 

One evening, after returning from work, dog tired, he called. He said, clearly and with much conviction, "Hi there! I can't really take this anymore. I am at the theatre (5 minutes from my house). I am in the lobby and will remain here until you come and meet me...even just for a couple of minutes. I will be standing next to the statue of Indiana Jones. You can tell us apart because I am the one with the popcorn!" No more Internet dating...I'm tired... all the excuses raced through my mind.

Finally, I shrugged and said, "Why the hell not?!" I grabbed my keys and took off for the cinema. As I entered, I picked him out from the crowd with one glance. He smiled the happiest grin I had ever seen. We were already friends...even before we actually met. We went for a coffee and talked as if we had known each other for years. That evening, I sent him home and said that I'd have to think about all this since my life was very complicated and busy. By the time I reach my home, I wondered what EXACTLY I had to think about. He was charming, educated, sweet, cute and...he liked me too. He called me when I returned home and we agreed to meet again. From then on, we were inseparable. I quickly discovered that he was my best friend. 

We moved in together, in my house, within about 2 months and realized that our homelife seemed to be perfect...peaceful, fun, happy. A few months afterwards, we found our own place, together, that fit the description of "dream home" for both of us. We decorated, organized and made it the perfect home for us. The funniest thing about the whole romance was that in over a year, we had NEVER had a fight or serious disagreement. It's like we were made for each other. Our friends tease us about not being normal because we never fight. Both of us consider the other to be our best friend. Life is bliss!

We took a trip to the US last summer and (surprise!), even my mother loves him! Now, that's a first!!! Every day seems to bring us closer together. Through joy or hardship, we always stick together. We are planning to be married in late summer, back in the States. We will return to Greece to live happily ever after. Miracles DO happen!! 


>> Continued in Part Two