Mars & Deborah 3:
As Deborah went to the departure hall to fly out of Adelaide I knew that the next few months were going to drag on slowly and that I would miss her like crazy. I just didnt want her to go but that was the reality of the situation. When she got back...
>> Continued




She's From:   United States
He's From:     Canada

I really enjoyed reading the stories on your site.

I am currently in a relationship that began on the net and I couldn't be happier.

  Jocelyn and Shane during their first meeting

Reading your story and others, really made me realize how special this relationship is and how exciting internet loves are! Here is my story:

I met Shane when I was sixteen on an instant messenger service. It was called ICQ and had many different "rooms" one could go into. I was in the "students" room when I pulled up a profile on this 22 year old guy from Canada. It said he was interested in Volleyball and working out. I'm very athletic so I decided to message this guy and find out more about him. At the time I was sixteen and on ICQ all the time so finding one more person to communicate with didn't seem to momentous at the time. Little did I know.





  We started chatting about how different Americans were from Canadians and we just hit it off from there. It didn't phase him at all when I told him I was sixteen because he said that it was really fun to talk to me. A couple hours flew by and I had to get up for school the next day so it was time to sign off. I added him to my contact list (a list of people from ICQ that notifies me when they are online) and he added me to his and we said our goodbyes.

The nights passed and we were talking more and more. We exchanged pictures and I couldn't get over how cute he was. But after a few more nights of talking, the town I live in experienced a really horrible thunder storm. Lightning struck and our computer burned out. I had lost all of my ICQ information. I couldn't talk to Shane! After we bought a new computer I tried desperately to locate him in the ICQ web pages but I only knew his first name, Shane. I tried everything to no avail. So I gave up. I figured I would never hear from him again. I knew he wouldn't be able to find me because I had had to change my number and nickname.

A year passed and one day I sat down at my computer to check my e-mail and there was a little message sign flashing on my screen. I didn't think anything of it because by this time I was back on ICQ chatting up a storm but never forgetting about the wonderful Canadian I met that one night. So I clicked on it and there was my message, "Jocelyn if you get this message me, Shane." I couldn't believe it and I just started jumping in my seat. I messaged him back right away telling him how I tried and tried to find him but there were thousands of guys with that name. He said that he almost gave up on me and that was the last message that he was going to send before he gave up on me forever. Today we say it was fate that made him send that last message because now we are still going strong and it has been three years since the first initial meeting online.

After that message we chatted a lot. He was getting ready to move to Toronto because of school and I was starting my first year of college. When he moved he lost his ICQ connection but that didn't stop us. We used e-mail almost everyday to communicate. One night we decided that it was time to talk on the phone. So he made the move and called me. It was really awkward at first but by the end of the conversation we were laughing and carrying on like old friends. After that first call the phone conversations became more and more apart of our everyday lives. When he went home over the holidays he sent me a Christmas gift and I did the same. He was like my best friend. I told him everything and couldn't wait to get home to the computer. I remember I use to sit in class and go over what I was going to tell this guy about what happened during my day. I knew he would laugh about what I laughed at, be sad at what I was sad about, and comfort me when I was depressed. After Christmas our relationship became more serious. The e-mails became more personal and so did the conversations. One night he called and was acting very strangely. He wouldn't tell me what was wrong but told me he was going to let me go so I could read my e-mail. I logged on right away and there it was, he had said he loved me but was really afraid because how could he be in love with a girl he has never met in person. So after that we decided it was time.

On March 3rd I drove four hours to pick Shane up in Denver. It was the longest trip of my life. I was so nervous. All my friends were convinced I was going to be murdered on the way home if not in the parking lot at the airport. Even my family was a little sceptical but I trusted my feelings. I got to the gate only to find his plane was early and I was late and he was no were to be found. I had to sit down and wonder what was going on. I finally decided to have him paged and to have him meet me at the food court. I knew right away when I saw him coming up the escalator that my life was about to change. It was like something in a movie. I saw him, he saw me and our eyes locked. When we finally met we embraced both with shaking arms. All I could say was, " I can't believe you are really here." We kissed and then went to the car to start the drive home.

We had a wonderful week and I thought my heart was leaving on the plane he was on when he had to go back to school. We started making plans to see each other again and I thought it wouldn't be until June when I was going to visit him at his home in Nova Scotia. I didn't know that he planned to fly down for my birthday to surprise me. Which he did with great success. He showed up at my door holding flowers and I knew right then that this was forever with him. I spent the whole Summer living with him in Canada and we both decided I needed to come back to Wyoming to finish my last year at the community college in my home town to get my associates degree.

He just came down to my house for Christmas and spent three wonderful weeks here. I'm planning to go see him in March to celebrate our one year anniversary and in May I am going back up to spend the Summer with him again. For school next fall I'm going to a college in New York that is only an hour and a half away from Toronto, where Shane is. Even though we can't be together forever just yet, we know that with patience and time it will come. This year has really been a test of our love and being away from each other has really made our "hearts grow fonder," and in two years when we are both done with school, our wedding will take place that Summer!

Thank you so much for creating that site because I am so happy that there are people out there that I can share my story with. Shane is the love of my life and with out the internet we wouldn't have met so easily. I feel like you are a great friend just because you know the passion and longing one feels for an internet love. Thank you for letting me know I am not alone!


>> Continued in Part Two